Welcome to san marin
Welcome to the 2014-15 school year!
The Administration and Staff are excited about the upcoming school year as the school community continues to focus on improving student achievement. Last year was filled with many accomplishments that will serve as the foundation for making the upcoming school year the best ever at San Marin High School. These accomplishments and highlights include:
- The implementation of the Advisory Program at San Marin High School and the leadership skills developed by our student advisory leaders.
- The implementation of the STEM Marin (Science, Technology Engineering and Math) Program with nearly 60 ninth grade students enrolled in 2013-14. STEM Marin expands to nearly 90 ninth grade students in the 2014-15 school year.
- A productive Western Association of Schools and Colleges Accreditation visit
- An increase in 210 computers or Chrome books for student and teacher use
- Award-winning arts, athletics, and competitive club programs
- Significant professional development by our staff to support Common Core, project-based learning, use of technology and English Learners
- High percentage of students graduating with the intent to further their education
- All AVID (Advancement Via Individual Determination) graduates intending to attend college.
- The planning of Link Crew, a research-based Freshman Orientation program, to be implemented this August.
The 2014-15 school year will bring change to San Marin. The Common Core State Standards will be fully implemented in Math and English and integrated within Science, Social Studies, and Elective courses. This will result in a shift in our teaching practices followed by a new assessment system to be administered in the spring. Additional information about Common Core will be provided throughout the year. The Advisory program will look different this coming year. Rather than two days for approximately thirty minutes, this year’s Advisory will be held on Mondays for approximately forty-five minutes. The focus of Advisory this year is creating community, academic advisement and success, post-secondary planning, and social and emotional learning. And, San Marin will return to a modified block schedule in January. The modified block will offer opportunities for our community to better implement our project-based learning strategies. Several minimum days have been scheduled to support these changes. Please refer to the school calendar on the school website for specific dates.
Successful organizations require the convergence of effective communication, positive relationships, and shared vision. The school staff will continue to focus on these areas with students, parents, families, and community members in creating powerful teaching and learning opportunities. The staff encourages parents/guardians to be actively involved in the school. One opportunity for parents to get involved is through the School Leadership Team. The School Leadership Team (SLT) has parent openings this year. The purpose of the SLT is to plan for continuous long-term improvement. Meetings are typically held the first Wednesday of the month at 3:00pm in the Library. Other opportunities for parent involvement are through our Parent Teacher Student Association, English Learners Advisory Committee, or parent booster organizations.
Thank you for your efforts to help us with our financial challenges by supporting our school programs through donations. This school year promises to be full of great accomplishments and exciting progress for our students and our school. Thank you for your ongoing support of San Marin High School.